Monday, August 31, 2009

St. Peter, pray for us!

Our day was filled with physical science, american history, catholcism, biology, algebra, pre-algebra, general science, nouns and verbs, spelling, writing, reading, phonics, counting, and play dough! (oh, and of course, the ice cream we had before bed as a thank you for a job well done!) Can you guess what we did today?? One day down.... more than 100 left to go! I am proud of the effort my children put forth today! Today's schedule is complete (except for a couple math pages I still need to correct!) and I actually heard a few laughs while they were busy working away! I think we are off to a good start with our school year!

You may wonder why I invoked the prayers of St. Peter. Well, he is the patron of our school. A few years into this homeschool endeavor, Paul and I decided we should name our school. I asked Paul if he would pray about it and name our school himself. All I asked was that he would tell me why the name was so chosen. One day after some time in adoration, Paul came home to tell me he had the name for our school. It would be St. Peter's Catholic Home School. Paul went on to explain that since our desire in home educating our children is to give them a firm foundation in the faith first and for most, what better patron than St. Peter; the very foundation on which Christ chose to build His Church. I had to agree!

Our daily morning prayer:

O Holy Apostle, because you are the Rock upon which Almighty God has built His Church, obtain for me I pray you: lively faith, firm hope, and burning love, complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, recollection in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state in life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be made worthy to appear before the Chief and Eternal Shepherd of Souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns forever. Amen

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Glad you're off to a good start. May God bless your new school year.

queen of the castle said...

I second that - have a great school year! Hope all your days go as well as the first. Maybe if the kids know there's ice cream every night . . .